Thursday 5 June 2008

Finally, a Blog...

So, after contemplating for some time whether I'd want to create my own blog, I've come to the conclusion that it might be fun to do so. Thus, the journey begins. I've been searching far and wide for a place to put my blog in, but couldn't find a nice place to settle.

First journey was looking for nice hosts. Setting up my own host would be out of the question, so I searched for good blog providers, and came across some page called wordpress. Since some of my friends have already settled there, I thought it would be nice to do the same. After some registration procedures, I found that to date, I haven't recieved their confirmation e-mail in my inbox (which is conveniently hosted at Gmail), although it was stated that it would be delivered at most 30 minutes after registering. So, the journey continues, and I found this page. Registration was simple, and I could create my blog within minutes after registering (or so they claim).

Fine then, on to the second journey of finding a name. I have always liked the letter Q. Don't know why. Maybe it's because it's the rarest letter that you can find in a name (the only modern name with the letter Q is, according to my very limited knowledge, Quentin and its derivatives). Since as child I've always been fascinated by archaeology (and space travel, but that's another story), I decided to get a nickname from the forgotten realms of history that started with a Q. I came up with Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent from the Aztec Pantheon, during my college days. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who had a fascination for Quetzalcoatl, as I found out that it was already used in most fora, webmails, and instant messaging apps (although it seems that http://quetzalcoatl.wordpress.com/ and http://quetzalcoatl.blogspot.com/ haven't been active since 2001. Can I use it instead? Pleeease?). OK, maybe just Q would do, although it was already used by Mr. Bond's gadgetman. Guess what? Wrong choice, because it seems that many people are also fascinated by Mr. Bond's gadgetman. No Q's available...

What to do, what to do... Then I came to the ingenious idea of using my Student ID Number after the nickname. That ought to do it, I thought. And surely, there was no one in the entire world who had used the name Quetzalcoatl2435.

Hence, welcome to Quetzalcoatl's Random (and sometimes incoherent) mumblings. Enjoy your stay.

No comments: